The cold winter months are just around the corner and the Burlington Fire Department wants residents to stay safe while staying warm. Heating safety is always a priority for the fire department but this winter it is of particular concern. Rising energy costs may have many residents seeking alternative and less expensive ways to heat homes. This can be safe as long
as properly done.
To prevent an increase in the number of home fires this winter the fire department will be going door-to-door with the heating information. Firefighters will be leaving door tags for residents to review with information on fireplace safety, electric heaters, and kerosene heaters.
Please review this information when you see it and help the fire department prevent an increase in the number of home fires this winter. For more
information visit www.BurlingtonNC.gov/fire.
Heating Tips from the BFD
- Keep all objects at least 3 feet away from space heaters.
- Do not remove safety devices or guards from heaters
- Never use your oven or other cooking appliances to heat your home
- Have chimneys professionally cleaned in the fall before use
- Test your smoke alarm monthly!