News & Announcements Home
The original item was published from 2/22/2016 3:44:54 PM to 3/11/2016 2:55:54 PM.

News & Announcements


Posted on: February 22, 2016



The Burlington City Council encourages interested Burlington residents to apply to serve on any one of the City’s volunteer Boards and Commissions. Each year in June, the City Council appoints new members to fill vacancies on City Boards or Commissions, including:

Board of Adjustment
Burlington Historic Preservation Commission
Burlington Minimum Housing Commission
Tree and Appearance Commission
Planning and Zoning Commission
Public Transit Advisory Commission
Recreation and Parks Commission
Traffic Commission
Burlington - Alamance Airport Authority
Burlington - Graham Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Burlington Housing Authority

Most commissions are advisory in nature, evaluating matters pertaining to their purpose and issuing opinions to the City Council. Some, however, are quasi-judicial, presenting final rulings on the requests before the board that can only be appealed to the County Superior Court. Others serve a regulatory function.

City Council makes appointments to vacant positions in June of each year. To be considered, interested residents must submit a new application each fiscal year. The City accepts and files applications throughout the year but encourages residents to submit an application by April 1st for Council consideration in advance of annual Board & Commission appointments in June.

Board and Commission appointments are typically three years in length. Members are expected to attend regular monthly meetings. A full list of City Boards and Commissions, as well as their purpose and meeting times, is available online at Applications can be found online at Questions related to the application and appointment process for City volunteer Boards and Commissions may be directed to Rachel Kelly at (336) 222-5076 or

Facebook Twitter Email