Water Exercise Classes
Water exercise is great for all fitness levels and age groups. It can help you get in shape, burn calories, strengthen core muscles and make friends along the way!
No experience needed, but we recommend that those new to water exercise begin with a Shallow Water class. Intensity varies with movement modifications offered in all classes. Advanced = focus on Moderate to High Intensity.
Shallow Water Classes*:
- Monday & Wednesday, 9:10-10:00 am
- Tuesday & Thursday, 6:10-7:00 pm
- Saturday, 10:10-11:00 am
* Water shoes recommended. Water depth 3.5-4.25 ft.
Deep Water Exercise Classes*:
- Tuesday & Thursday, 9:10-10:00 am (Advanced)
- Tuesday & Thursday, 7:10-8:00 pm
- Monday & Wednesday, 9:10-10:00 am
- Saturday, 9:10-10:00 am
* Float belt must be worn (equipment available). For swimmers comfortable in water up to 10 ft deep.
Location: Maynard Aquatic Center, located at 1402 Overbrook Road, Burlington, NC 27215. Directions
Reservations are highly recommended! We anticipate all sessions to fill to capacity. Drop-ins accommodated if space permits. Reserve now.
Mix or match days and times at your convenience by choosing the reservation times that work best for you! There is no charge to reserve - payment is made upon entry. For details on how to use our reservation system, please refer to Maynard Aquatic Center. If you need assistance, please call (336) 222-5043. Participants may enter the facility/pool 10 minutes prior to class time.
Your first class is FREE! Bring a swimsuit, towel and water bottle, and come join in the fun!
|Class Fees & Passes||13-15 yrs||18-54 yrs||55+ yrs|
|Class Fee (per visit)||$5.00||$7.00||$5.00|
|Healthcare Pass (see more info below)||Free||Free|
*Unused visits expire 1 yr. from purchase date
Tivity Health, Optum Health and American Specialty Health (ASH) are parent companies of health and fitness programs designed for active adults. These programs (Silver Sneakers, Prime, Renew Active, Optum, Silver & Fit and Active & Fit) are offered as a benefit with many health insurance plans as well as many Medicare Supplement Plans.
If you are enrolled in one of these programs, bring your member number to Maynard Aquatic Center (or North Park Pool seasonally) to sign up for a FREE Healthcare Pass. Healthcare Pass holders have access to swimming and water exercise classes at no charge.
- Reservations are recommended for all swim activities.
- Swim lessons, rentals and special programs have additional fees.
- Passes expire on the calendar year (or when enrollment ends, if earlier). Enrollment must be reconfirmed at renewal.
10 Reasons to Try Water Exercise
- Joint Protection. Thanks to the buoyant properties of the water, body "weight" can be reduced as much as 75-90%, cushioning joints and protecting them from the shock of impact.
- Resistance. Water provides more resistance than air, burning more fat than on land and helping muscles become balanced and toned.
- Calorie Burn. Water aerobics can burn anywhere from 400-600 calories an hour.
- Cooling Effect. Water cools the body to help prevent over-heating.
- Health. It can strengthen the heart and lungs, improve endurance, reduce blood pressure and help balance blood sugar.
- Joint Pain. It can help relieve the pain of joint issues, increase flexibility and keep you mobile.
- Relaxation. It can help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Feel self-conscious or uncoordinated when exercising? No one can really see what you are doing underwater!
- When you're having a bad hair day, we won't even notice!
- You get a free warm shower! (Not to mention a discount if you purchase a 10 or 25 Visit Pass!)
- Bonus: It's fun and a great way to make new friends! Hope to see you soon!