Virtual Resources for Seniors
NC Baptist Aging Ministry PROVIDING SMOke alarms to Eligible Seniors
North Carolina Baptist Aging Ministry (NCBAM) has been awarded a $40,000 Fire Prevention and Safety Grant from the Department of Homeland Security / FEMA. NCBAM will use grant funds to enhance its Priority #1: Prevention outreach to make aging adults safer in their homes. Trained volunteers will install long life, battery-powered smoke alarms, at no charge, in the homes of individuals 65+ who do not have working alarms and replace alarms that are more than 10 years old. In addition, the ministry will have carbon-monoxide alarms to provide in homes with appliances that burn fossil fuels as well as a limited number of Lifetone alarms for deaf individuals.
Individuals may contact the NCBAM Call Center at 877.506.2226 to request smoke alarms. Alarm recipients must be 65+, not currently have properly working smoking alarms, or have alarms that are more than ten years old.
NC has developed its own official COVID-19 Exposure Notification app, SlowCOVIDNC, to help North Carolinians protect themselves and their loved ones and slow the spread of COVID-19.
Download the SlowCOVIDNC Exposure Notification app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, enable your Bluetooth and Exposure Notification settings, and be notified if you have been in close contact with someone who has shared a positive COVID-19 test result in the app.
Once you opt-in to the notification system, you can also anonymously share a positive COVID-19 test result in the app. SlowCOVIDNC protects your identity and privacy while empowering you to protect yourself, your family, and your community. For more information or to download the app, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
LIVING HEALTH AT HOME
Living Healthy at Home is a program offered at no cost and includes a tool kit that you will receive in the mail and weekly phone calls in small groups. The program is hosted by t
Contact MaryLou White at firstname.lastname@example.org, 336-497-5610 or fill out this interest form. A staff member will be in touch within 5 business days with more details and class time options.
MENTAL HEALTH SCREENING
It's ok to feel stressed, anxious, distracted, or sad sometimes. Everyone deals with emotions differently, and sometimes, we can't explain why we feel or act a certain way. Taking this quick, confidential mental health screening may help you figure out what you, or a loved one, are feeling and what you can do to find help or support.Start the Cardinal Innovations Healthcare mental health screening here.
EXERCISES FOR EVERY MIND
Keep your mind engaged while staying safe at home. Below are links to various games, puzzles, virtual tours, mindfulness and more.
- AARP Games (some are free & some require AARP membership)
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Printable Sudoku
- Puzzle Express (word searches, crosswords, etc.)
- Online Chess, Scrabble and Bridge
- Printable Adult Coloring Sheets
- List of Museums, Zoos, & Theme Parks Virtual Tours
- Virtual Museum Tours
- Meditation and Mindfulness: Calm, 5 Minute Meditation, Mindful Breathing, and Soothing Sounds
EXERCISES FOR EVERY BODYBelow find links to various types of exercises you can do at home to stay active and healthy. Just click on the link to open each video. But remember these tips to be safe and reduce risk of injury during exercise:
- Begin your exercise program slowly with low-intensity exercises.
- Wear appropriate shoes for your activity.
- Warm up before exercising, and cool down afterward.
- Pay attention to your surroundings when exercising outdoors.
- Drink water before, during, and after your workout session, even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Dress appropriately for the temperature outdoors, or opt for an indoor activity if it’s very hot or cold.
- If you have specific health conditions, discuss your exercise and physical activity plan with your health care provider.
Strength, Balance & Flexibility
- Body-weight Strength Exercises
- Improve your Balance in 5 Minutes
- Balance Exercises
- Flexibility Exercises