Coronavirus Updates

City Openings, Closures & Modified Schedules

(click tab below to see changes for each department)
  1. Animal Services
  2. City Hall Services
  3. Collections, Billing & Customer Service
  4. Link Transit
  5. Recreation & Parks
  6. Solid Waste Services
For the most up-to-date info and updates, visit the Burlington Animal Services homepage.


Financial Assistance for Utilities

City Water  Bill Assistance 
Some Burlington households who have experienced COVID-19 related financial difficulties are eligible to receive up to $100/month for three consecutive months to help pay City of Burlington water bills. Get more information and apply for assistance here. Financial assistance provided by CARES Act funding.

Resources for Businesses & Employers

Links to Resources
Microenterprise Loans  
Qualifying Burlington businesses with 5 employees or fewer can apply for forgivable loans of up to $7000. Funds must be used for approved expenses related to COVID-19 impacts. The business owner or over half of employees of the business must have low- or moderate-income as defined by HUD to be eligible. For more information, visit Economic Development Division or apply online here.

Permits and applications for Businesses
The City will be waiving planning review fees during this time for outdoor dining applications. Please download the proper application for your business and submit to contact person or drop off by appointment at 425 S. Lexington Ave., call 336-222-5110 to schedule.

To expedite your application, please make sure to include all the required application materials, including: property owner approval, a certificate of liability insurance, and sketch plan.

Health-Related Resources for COVID-19


  • COVID-19 is a respiratory illness due to a new type of coronavirus (novel coronavirus).
  • Symptoms include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
  • COVID-19 is spread mainly from person-to-person among close contacts of individuals infected with this virus.
  • It’s important to remember that diseases, including COVID-19, can make anyone sick regardless of their race or nationality.


  • Cone Health On-line COVID-19 Assessment Test
    Do you think you might have, coronavirus, use this online tool to check your symptoms.
  • Alamance County Public Health Coronavirus Call Center: (336) 290-0361The call center allows residents with questions about the coronavirus to speak with a public health nurse and, if needed, be connected with a provider who will then determine if a flu test and/or COVID-19 test is needed.
  • Alamance County Health Department: (336) 227-0101
  • NC Coronavirus Hotline: (866) 462-3821
  • United Way Call 211: 2-1-1 or (888) 892-1162
    United Way Call 211 provides assistance with food, housing, or essential services.