Citizens Police Academy
- agency tour
- overview of the police profession and criminal justice system
- emergency management and communications
- patrol operations/ equipment demonstrations
- traffic and DWI enforcement
- crime scene investigation
- criminal investigations
- gang awareness
- K-9 demonstrations
Applications are always being accepted!
The next academy begins in the spring of 2019. You must be able to attend all 11 sessions, which will be held on Tuesday or Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. and one Saturday session. If you are interested in attending the next academy, please fill out the application.
La próxima academia comienza en la primavera de 2019. Debe poder asistir a las 11 sesiones, que se llevarán a cabo los martes o jueves por la noche de 6:30 a 9:00 p.m. y una sesión de sábado. Si está interesado en asistir a la próxima academia, complete la solicitud.
The Citizens' Academy is structured to conduct ten classes and an additional evening graduation session to honor participants who complete the academy. The classes will be at least three hours per session with classes beginning at 6:30 p.m. and ending at 9:00 p.m. Each class will be held at the police department. There will be at least one Saturday session that will be held at the Burlington Police/ Fire Training Center.
- To build trust through transparency with the citizens of Burlington
- To increase the level of communication between the citizens and employees of the police department
- To provide education and insight to citizens of the community concerning the job functions and duties of a Burlington police officer
- Be 18 years of age
- Not have any prior felony or misdemeanor convictions that question the moral character of the applicant
- Be willing to commit to attending at least one 3 hour class per week for 10 weeks