Beverly Smith, CMC, NCMC
The City Clerk serves as the official custodian of the City Seal, minute books, ordinance and resolution books, contracts, the City of Burlington Code of Ordinances and other official records.
The City Clerk is responsible for recording and maintaining official actions, meetings and records of the City Council. The City Clerk also serves as a liaison between the citizens and elected officials.
The City Clerk, while providing administrative support to the City Manager, Mayor and City Council members, also performs a wide variety of services to encourage and document citizen interaction with their local government including:
- Providing notice for meetings according to the N.C. Open Meetings Law
- Archiving and preservation of permanent records
- Attesting contracts and other documents
- Handling inquiries and researching requests from citizens and other municipal departments
- Certifying documents
Additional duties of the Office of the City Clerk include:
- Administering Oaths of Office
- Serve as a notary public for the City
- Respond to requests for information from the public, other municipalities, state officials, and state and federal legislative offices
- Processes Deeds for City owned cemeteries
- Processes Temporary Street Closure Requests. Completed forms may be submitted via email to City Administration to seek required approvals. Email Paige Shepard at email@example.com or call 336-222-5020.
Contact the City Clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office phone: 336-222-5023 or 336-222-5020