Opportunities to Volunteer within the City of BurlingtonKernodle Senior Center
1535 S. Mebane Street
P: (336) 222-5135
The Kernodle Senior Activities Center offers several volunteer opportunities, such as:
- Receptionists: Answer phone, give information, refer calls, help with light
- Assist with Mailings: Assemble mail accordingly, and put on labels.
- SHIIP Volunteers: Assist people with Medicare plan supplements and other insurance needs. Will be trained by the NC Department of Insurance.
- Senior Center Representative: Attends fairs to promote the senior center and give out information.
- Volunteer Instructors: Able to instruct
specificsubject or activity.
221 Stone Quarry Rd.
Animal Services offers a wide array of volunteer opportunities. Visit Animal Services Volunteer Page to fill out an application.
- Pet Pal—This involves walking, talking to, and playing with adoptable dogs and cats. These animals need exercise and attention. Volunteers can play with them in special areas at BAS and shower them with love and affection. A socialized cat or dog will become someone's pet much faster.
- Dog Obedience Training—Most BAS dogs are eager to learn their manners and would benefit from learning the basics of sit, stay, down, etc. Well-mannered dogs get adopted faster. If volunteers have any experience in obedience training, BAS welcomes them to help train BAS dogs.
- Grooming—Many BAS animals have not been cared for before coming to BAS. Their fur may be dirty, matted or shaggy from seasonal shedding. Their chance for adoption increases greatly if they have been groomed.
- Photography—BAS posts pictures of all adoptable pets on different websites and can always use volunteer help in getting good photographs of animals.
- Special Events—BAS takes animals to special events such as adoption fairs, the Carousel Festival, Christmas parades, etc., and can use extra hands and helpers. The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator and/or the Animal Shelter Manager shall schedule at least one special event
- involving BAS animals each month.
- Rabies/Microchip Clinics—BAS holds several rabies/microchip clinics
- each year and needs volunteers to fill out the certificates and collect fees. BAS can use volunteers at these clinics who have neat handwriting and good spelling skills.
- Hikes with Hounds—Burlington Recreation & Parks and BAS have teamed up for the Hikes with Hounds program, where volunteers take a shelter dog for a hike along one of Burlington’s beautiful trails. Hikes with Hounds offers enrichment by allowing some of BAS’s adoptable dogs to get away for a couple of hours to enjoy nature, socialize, and exercise. Hikes with Hounds will be offered one Friday each month at a hiking trail location at a Burlington park or along the Haw River Trail.
- Fostering—BAS needs dedicated volunteers to keep high-risk or at-need animals in their homes during short-term foster placements in order to help ensure positive outcomes for these animals. High-risk or at-need animals may include those with medical and/or behavioral needs as well as puppies and kittens.
- Laundry—BAS staff need help washing, drying, and folding linens used for cleaning and in animal kennels.
- Kennel Cleaning Assistance—Keeping animal kennels clean is a 24/7 job, so BAS staff welcome volunteer help in cleaning cat cages and dog kennels.
1331 Overbrook Road
The Burlington Youth Council offers volunteer opportunities for Middle School and High School teens such as:
- Special Population Events: Organizing activities and handing out snacks or prizes
- Thataways Dances: Organizing and assisting with activities for preteens
- Events: Volunteering at other community events with Burlington Recreation and Parks, Alamance Arts, and other organizations
The Burlington Police Department has many volunteer opportunities for recent Citizens Academy graduates. Contact the department for more information.
Opportunities to Volunteer with Local Non-Profit Organization
The website, www.VolunteerAlamance.org, will allow for Alamance County nonprofit organizations to post any volunteer needs, promote fundraisers and/or events, and collection
Alamance County Meals on Wheels
411 West 5th Street, Suite A, Burlington, NC 27215
“Each day, between 17 and 36 volunteers deliver approximately 250 meals to
Alamance County Community YMCA
1346 South Main Street, Burlington, NC 27215
In terms of volunteer opportunities, we have year-round opportunities in customer service (greeting members, folding towels, giving tours, etc.) and facilities maintenance (cleaning machines, etc.). We also have Special Events that occur throughout the year that we use volunteers to help with.
Allied Churches of Alamance County
206 North Fisher Street, Burlington, NC 27216
Allied Churches depends on the generous service of approximately twenty
American Red Cross
604 S. Worth Street, Burlington, NC 27215
Volunteers carry out 90% of the humanitarian work of the Red Cross. Whether helping displaced families, providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran, or teaching others how to respond in emergencies, it’s through the efforts of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things. Volunteers can choose to be involved in Blood Services, Disaster Services, Service to the Armed Forces and more.(http://www.redcross.org/nc/burlington).
Burlington Housing Authority
133 North Ireland Street, Burlington, NC 27216
You will have the opportunity to volunteer with several after-school enrichment programs such as Dream Girls, Training for Manhood, Whiz Kids, or the Gold program. BHA also has an adult leadership training program, an entrepreneurship training program, and a family sufficiency program For more information, please call or visit their website.
427 Maple Avenue, Burlington, NC 27215
Creative Directions, Inc is need of volunteers ages 16 and up to help make phone calls, pass out flyers, assist with
CrossRoads Sexual Assault Response & Resource Center
1206 Vaughn Road, Burlington, NC 27216
CrossRoads has been helping sexual assault victims in Alamance and the surrounding counties for over 30 years, providing prevention and community education, inter-agency coordination, and services to persons concerned with or experiencing sexual assault. There are several different ways you can
Young Musicians of Alamance County
513 West Front St., Burlington NC 27215
Young Musicians of Alamance is a music instruction program that offers ensemble instrumental and general music instruction to at-risk elementary, middle and high school students. Most of these students attend schools where 50% or more students qualify for free lunch. Qualified music teachers provide after school and Saturday lessons. Instruments are loaned to students so they may practice at home. These benefits are offered free, to children who otherwise would have little opportunity for this kind of instruction. Students receive six hours of instruction during the week. They receive healthy after school snacks and a hot lunch on Saturdays.
In addition to music instruction, Young Musicians of Alamance focuses on important social values such as respect for self and others, sharing of assistance and resources, mutual support and caring, self-discipline, and hard work.
Volunteer Opportunities with Young Musicians of Alamance include:
Music Program Assistance – assist Teaching Artists in class with breakout groups, individual help for students. Must have a musical background, preferably with stringed instruments.
Food Program Assistant – Cooking Saturday meals for students, kitchen prep work, serving students lunch.
Office Assistant – Assist YMA office with general administrative tasks such as filing, mailings, etc.
American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery Program
Can you drive a cancer patient to Alamance Regional Medical Center once a month? Please help give free rides to cancer patients in Alamance County! Our Road to Recovery volunteer drivers train at home and have access to our cancer patient requests online. Volunteer drivers decide for themselves when and how far they want to drive. Most patient requests are Monday-Friday 8 am to 4 pm.
If you would like your non-profit organization listed here, please contact us via email.