Location and Hours
You are here:
Age 16 or older may volunteer without supervision.
Age 14 -15, must have parental supervision. No volunteers under age 14.
Must complete orientation session (see below for schedule and information).
Agree to adhere to Burlington Animal Services' policies and procedures.
Complete application and liability waiver. Background check form for age 18 or older. See below for volunteer forms.
- This involves walking, talking to, and playing with our dogs and cats. They need exercise and attention! Play with them in special areas of our facility and shower them with love and affection. A socialized cat or dog will become someone's pet faster.
Dog Obedience Training
- Most of our adoptable dogs are eager to learn their manners and would benefit from learning the basics of sit, stay, down, etc. Well-mannered dogs get adopted faster! If you have any experience in obedience training, we would welcome your help.
- Many of our animals have not been cared for before coming to our facility. Their fur may be dirty, matted or shaggy from seasonal shedding. Their chance for adoption increases greatly if they have been groomed.
- We post pictures of all our adoptable pets on different websites, but sometimes we get behind in taking pictures. If you are good with a camera and can snap pictures of wiggly dogs and cats, we can use your help.
- We do special events such as PetSmart adoption fairs, the Carousel Festival, health fairs, etc., and can always use extra hands and helpers.
- We hold 3 rabies clinics each year and need volunteers to fill out the rabies certificates and collect the fee. If you have neat handwriting and good spelling skills, we can use your help!
application and liability waiver
are required for all volunteers. Volunteers age 18 and older are required to complete a
background check form
Complete and sign the forms. Either mail to Outreach Coordinator, Burlington Pet Adoption Center, 221 Stone Quarry Rd., Haw River, NC 27258, email to
, or bring them to the orientation session.
The volunteer orientation session will be held the 2nd Thursday of each month at 11:00 a.m. at the Pet Adoption Center. The session will last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Please pre-register for orientation by emailing Laura Michel at
or calling 336-578-0343. If it is impossible for you to attend at this time, please contact Laura.
Note: High school students will be accommodated on teacher workdays during the school year.
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Pet Adoption Center is closed Sundays and most holidays.
Recreation & Parks
Business & Development
Powered by CivicPlus