Recreation Department and Athletics Schedule Modifications
You are here:
Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older.
Must complete orientation session (see below for schedule and information).
Agree to adhere to Burlington Animal Services' policies and procedures.
Complete application and liability waiver. A background check is required for age 18 or older. Persons with a felony will not be permitted to volunteer. Click on the links below for volunteer forms.
- This involves walking, talking to, and playing with our adoptable dogs and cats. They need exercise and attention! Play with them in special areas of our facility and shower them with love and affection. A socialized cat or dog will become someone's pet faster.
Dog Obedience Training
- Most of our adoptable dogs are eager to learn their manners and would benefit from learning the basics of sit, stay, down, etc. Well-mannered dogs get adopted faster! If you have any experience in obedience training, we would welcome your help.
- Many of our animals have not been cared for before coming to our facility. Their fur may be dirty, matted or shaggy from seasonal shedding. Their chance for adoption increases greatly if they have been groomed.
- We post pictures of all our adoptable pets on different websites, but sometimes we get behind in taking pictures. If you are good with a camera and can snap pictures of wiggly dogs and cats, we can use your help.
- Occasionally, we do special events such as adoption fairs, the Carousel Festival, health fairs, etc., and can use extra hands and helpers.
- We hold 3 rabies clinics each year and need volunteers to fill out the rabies certificates and collect the fee. If you have neat handwriting and good spelling skills, we can use your help!
application and liability waiver
are required for all volunteers. Volunteers age 18 and older are required to complete a
background check form
Complete and sign the forms. Either mail to Outreach Coordinator, Burlington Animal Services, 221 Stone Quarry Rd., Haw River, NC 27258; email to
; or bring them to the orientation session.
The volunteer orientation session will be held the 2nd Thursday of each month at 11:00 a.m. at the Pet Adoption Center. The session will last approximately 1 hour. Please pre-register for orientation by emailing Laura Michel at
or calling 336-578-0343. If it is impossible for you to attend at this time, please contact Laura.
During the school year, high school students will be accommodated on teacher workdays.
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Pet Adoption Center is closed Sundays and most holidays.
Recreation & Parks
Business & Development
Powered by CivicPlus