Resident Services

Accident/ Incident Report Requests:

Persons requiring accident reports or insurance verification pertaining to a crime report may pick up their respective report during office hours or they may request a report online. If you would like to request that we compile the report for you, please go here. If you would like to fill out the form yourself and receive an immediate report, please go here. For assistance in determining contributing factors in an accident, go here.

Request an accident report

Reclaiming Property:

For the return/ release of any property, an appointment must be scheduled with Evidence Control Personnel. If an item was seized pursuant to an investigation, the officer assigned to the case must authorize the item(s) to be released or a court order must be obtained authorizing the release of the item(s). The department requires individuals who come to claim property to bring the necessary paperwork in order for the items to be released.  When a case is disposed of and a person comes to claim said property, they must have one of the documents listed below:
  • Court Order This is required for the return of currency*, weapons, a vehicle, or any personal property of the defendant. The order must state that the property is to be returned to the defendant and not just that the case has been disposed of in court. This may come from the clerk's office if a judgement was made during the court proceedings or from the district attorney's office, both of which are in the main court house on Elm Street in Graham. A photo ID of the person claiming the property is required.
  • Letter of Testamentary/ Executor of the Estate documents This paperwork is necessary for the release of property to a family member in the event of a victim’s death from a crime, natural causes, or a suicide. This paperwork can be acquired at the estates' office at the court house in Court Square, Graham. A photo ID of the person claiming the property is required.
  • *An order from the Clerk Of Court is needed to turn seized currency over for cost and fines. * The Burlington Police Department’s Identification Division will turn the currency over to the Clerk of Court. If there is a balance that is to be returned to the defendant, the Clerk’s Office will send the defendant the balance in the form of a check once the costs and fines are paid out of the seized funds. *In the case of currency that has been deposited into the City of Burlington Evidence Account, the order stating the currency is to be returned to the owner must be received in Finance no later than noon on Wednesday to have the check cut by the Finance Department on Thursday. If the documentation is not received by Wednesday at noon, the check will be cut the following Thursday. In addition to the court order, the owner is also required to show valid identification and provide a social security number per the Finance Department requirements. The owner will be contacted when the check is received from the Finance Department, or if requested, the check can be mailed to the owner.

Lost and Found Property:

Property turned in as found to the department is held for 180 days from the time of submission. If the property is not claimed by the owner, the finder can then claim the property. The finder is required to sign a waiver prior to the release of any property. 
  • Found bicycles are held for sixty (60) days, then advertised for thirty (30) days prior to releasing them to the finder.
  • Any contraband turned in is destroyed.

Fingerprinting for Applications:

Fingerprinting is done through the Records Section of the Burlington Police Department. It is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; no appointment is necessary. There is a $10.00 fee payable by cash or check only. Payment must be exact as we do not give out change. You must meet these criteria to have your fingerprints done.
  • You must live inside the Burlington city limits or the fingerprints must be for an employer inside the Burlington city limits. (If you have a Burlington address but are unsure if it is inside the city limits, please contact us for verification.)
  • You must have a valid photo ID.
  • You must provide the appropriate paperwork if you are requesting electronic fingerprinting.

Crime Prevention:

The Burlington Police Department wants to help community members prevent crime. Therefore, we have provided some useful tips to help keep you and community safe. We are here to serve the community, but we hope to prevent our community from becoming victims of crime. Please check out our crime prevention tips to see what you can do!
Wright and Sisk

Vacation Watch:

If you are interested in having a vacation check of your residence conducted while you are away, please come by the department during regular business hours. Below are some tips to keep your home safe while you are away:
  • Do not publicize the fact that you are going away
  • Put lights and a radio on timers
  • Burn an outside light all night, not just when you are away
  • Do not close your blinds or curtains, if you do not usually do so when you are at home
  • Do not stop deliveries: have a neighbor pick them up for you, as well as circulars that accumulate
  • Make arrangements to have the lawn cut while you are away
  • Turn your telephone ringer down to low or turn on the answering machine. Do not leave messages saying that you are on vacation or when you will return home
  • Store items such as lawn furniture, garden tools, and hanging baskets in a secure area of your residence
  • Ask neighbors to look out for your residence while you are away
  • Consider asking a neighbour to park a vehicle in your driveway during your absence
  • Leave a phone number with your neighbour where you can be contacted in case of emergency

Community Watch:

It is a crime prevention program that involves citizens working with each other and with law enforcement agencies to reduce crime and victimization in their communities. It is basically neighbors watching out for each other. Its intention is to make criminals aware that if they commit a crime in a Community Watch Neighborhood, it will be reported to the police. It involves: Citizens protecting themselves and their property by using common senscrime prevention practices and neighbors getting to know each other, watching out for each other, and acting on or reporting suspicious activities. You can start your own community watch in Burlington by contacting Bobby Davis. He can provide you with the necessary materials and offer technical advice. Then set up a meeting with as many neighbors as possible, plan to meet in a church, school, or in someone's home. 

Notify Me:

Residents can sign up here to receive non-emergency updates from the city that are tailored to your interests. You can receive crime prevention tips and crime alerts as well as being able to sign up for severe weather and other types of notifications. Visit Notify Me to make sure your contact information is up to date, so you can keep up with the Burlington Police Department and with the City of Burlington.