Greg Seel 336-513-5477 to learn about current volunteer opportunities
There are numerous ways in which you can get involved working with the Burlington Police Department in a volunteer capacity.
Citizen's Academy Application
It is the policy of The Burlington Police Department to use qualified, well trained, properly vetted volunteers to perform specific tasks within the agency that improves efficiency and increases productivity of existing sworn and civilian staff. This is accomplished by focusing volunteer efforts in areas that do not require a sworn status and are within the scope and ability of the volunteer. Volunteers are intended to supplement and support sworn officers and civilian personnel.
A person who performs a service for The Burlington Police Department without promise, expectations, or receipt of payment for services rendered. This may include, but not limited to Chaplains, Police Explorers, Interns or any other person that performs a defined job, task or service that has been approved by the Chief of Police or designee.
Any person who has completed the Citizens Police Academy, or is scheduled to complete the Citizens Police Academy within one year of application is eligible to become a Citizen Police Volunteer. Applicants who do not meet the qualifications may request an exemption in writing. Requirements may be waived or modified at the Direction/Discretion of the Chief of Police. (See top of page for application to Citizens Police Academy)
• Explorer Scouts-A person between the ages of 14-20 years of age who is a member of an established Explorer Program and performs supervised activities relating to Law Enforcement. For more information contact Matt Fitch
• Citizen Police Volunteers- A qualified citizen volunteer who performs certain specific approved tasks for the Burlington Police Department. For more information contact Greg Seel
• Victim Assistance Citizen Volunteer- A Citizen Volunteer who has received specific training in the area of Victim’s Assistance to include Domestic Violence (DV), Court Liaison, Community Outreach and other related forms of assistance that involve victims of crimes For more information contact Jackie Sheffield
• Volunteer Chaplains- An ordained Pastor who volunteers their services to assist all employees of the Burlington Police Department in matters of religious or spiritual counseling, victim assistance and outreach into the community. For more information contact Greg Seel
• College Interns- A College or University student enrolled in a qualified degree program that is required to perform a stipulated number of hours for which they obtain course credits. For more information contact Greg Seel
For more information on descriptions and qualifications for each of these opportunities click here